Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Staff Spotlight International Edition: Alice Walker

Meet Alice Walker, senior counselor at DPF 4-H!

We are lucky enough to have people from all over the world come to stay with us during the summer at camp. One of the highlights of having international staff is allowing our campers to know about other cultures and countries, as our staff bring many traditions, accents, and walks of life with them to share! Last summer we brought Alice over from England to work with us and she did a phenomenal job! The kids absolutely loved getting to know her inside the cabin as well as in her self-defense classes! We heard so many campers reflecting on how much they loved hanging out with Alice and how well they bonded with her. We're happy to share that she'll be back this summer and we know you can't wait to see her! We touched base with Alice across the pond to talk about her experience last summer and share what she's excited for this year.

How was your experience with us last year as a first time counselor? 
I had such a good first summer at camp; I came without really knowing what to expect and with pretty much no warning before I flew out. The first few weeks were fairly over-whelming; learning the day-to-day routine as I went along whilst having to be in charge of campers who knew a lot more about how things run than I did! Once I’d got into the swing of things time seemed to go so quickly. I made some amazing friends, some of whom I can imagine knowing for a very long time. 

What are some of your favorite memories from last year?
There are definitely too many to list; my friends at home are sick of hearing about camp stories! I remember having some rather hilarious nights, dancing like an idiot during every coed, sock wrestling in self defense classes, and even dressing up as a gangster bride during one unit night. Things that I definitely didn’t imagine I’d be doing when I came to camp.

What are you doing in the off season (school, jobs, hobbies, etc.)?
Back in England I’m at the University of Nottingham (in the middle of the country), studying math and economics in my second year; apart from studying I do regular studenty things (going out with friends, shopping, sleeping etc). I also train in Aikido (martial arts) a couple of times a week, and am the president of the club at my university.

What are you looking forward to most about returning this summer?
Probably getting to see all the other counselors and campers I met last year. I’m looking forward to not being the ‘newby’ so I’ll actually know what I’m doing from week one this time, and know what to expect. I can’t wait to have another amazing summer and have a laugh with good friends.

We can't wait to have you back Alice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment