Friday, March 27, 2015

Staff Spotlight International Edition: BJ Halewijn


DPF 4-H Camp's very own Dutch giant! BJ has been working with us DPF since the summer of 2006. He started as a senior counselor working in our Ropes and Drama programs. Can you believe this burly man to be an actor? In 2008, he discovered his true calling in the Out Door Living program, where he had the freedom to chop down trees, get dirty, and most importantly: make fire! Our weekly council fires are built by BJ and his team. They work long and hard to make sure each one is bigger, better, and more creative than the week before. BJ has been the ODL director since 2010, where he has taught many campers and staff the importance of fire safety, cooking tips, survival skills, as well as keeping "healthy" which in Dutch means covered in soot!

BJ is originally from Driehuizen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands (say that 5 times fast!) and currently lives in Amsterdam. During the year, he is a primary school teacher for 7th grade. He enjoys teaching history, drawing, science, and math. In his spare time at home he builds models of castle and ships out of wood and plastic. Additionally, he spends time writing stories; many of which he tells the children when he comes to camp! He enjoys reading and recording books, as well as doing calligraphy and trying to write a book of his own! He keeps active by playing basketball, swimming, and archery.

So what are some of his favorite memories?
"My favourite memories are all the laughing. There is nowhere else where I laugh more than at camp, I thank my friends for that. One of my favourite memories is the boys unit taking care of each other. They put themselves on the line for me a few times. Besides that I have some good memories about a scary walk, wrestle mania, sleep-out with Zombies, going out with friends, the songs of the boys unit, the kids who are coming back because you are back, all the quotes of my friends, working in a team, and working with the best people I have ever met."

This summer will be BJ's 10th and last summer with us (so sad!) so we're looking forward to making it a great one. What are some of the things he's looking foward to?
"It sounds weird but I’m looking forward to chicken BBQ. Just standing there, roasting chicken with the sun on my face and a cold drink in my hand, while laughing with my friends.
Camp is also the only place where I can be myself. There is no place else where the people just accept who and what you are. They respect you and take you as you are. I’m looking forward to standing next to my friends again and making sure the kids have a great time."  

Don't miss out on any of the fun that comes along with working with BJ. Whether it's the big fires, interactive Dutch songs, teaching him English words, or simply sharing a laugh; we're looking forward to another great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment